Blackberry Lime Pâté
I don’t know about you, but when I think of pâté, I think of very rich and earthy flavours. Which are great, but sometimes you want something a little different.
Since one can never have too much pâté, I decided to spice it up a bit with some bold, fresh flavours. Like blueberry and lemon, lime and blackberry are a fantastic combination, and they just so happen to pair well with liver in this pâté. In the words of my toddler: “yummy, yummy, yummy”!
Packed with the ultimate superfood, liver, a healthy serving of saturated fat, and fresh fruit flavours, this recipe is sure to please. Liver has been prized by traditional cultures for millenia, and with good reason. It is a powerhouse of nutrition, containing some of the most bioavailable forms of nutrients like vitamin A (as the oh-so-important retinol), iron, phosphorus, copper, and selenium, B vitamins, and zinc. You can read more about the amazing benefits of liver here (courtesy of The Paleo Mom).
Contrary to research funded by the sugar industry, quality saturated fats are very good for you! Saturated fat can improve cardiovascular risk factors, help strengthen bones, improve liver, brain, and lung health, facilitate proper nerve signalling, and supports the immune system. Good thing this pâté has a good dose of it!
Fruits & Veggies
While we’re on the topic of nutrient density, this pâté will get you three different coloured fruits and veggies. Lime has anti-inflammatory properties and helps aid digestion. Additionally, the vitamin C from the lime will help increase the absorption of the iron in the liver. Blackberries, also high in vitamin C, have fantastic antioxidant properties and are packed with vitamins. Makes me miss my old blackberry bush. Onions also posses antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. They are a good source of minerals and resistant starch, which feeds the good bacteria in your gut as prebiotics. That goes a long way towards eating your rainbow of coloured veggies!
- 1lb chicken or turkey liver, cleaned of tough, stringy material
- 1 cup saturated fat (solid at room temp) fat – tallow, butter, lard, coconut oil – divided, second half softened (I used coconut oil)
- ½ medium onion, diced
- ½-1 cup blackberries
- Zest of one lime
- Juice of 1.5 limes
- Salt to taste
- Heat the first half of the fat in a pan on med-high heat. Add onion and saute until tender (do not overcook to the point where you get those crispy brown edges on the onion).
- Add liver to the pan and cook until just done and still pink in the middle (should only take a few minutes).
- Combine the liver mixture with the remaining ingredients in a food processor. Be sure that the second half of your fat is adequately softened otherwise you might have trouble getting it to combine properly. Process until mixture is smooth. Adjust salt to taste.
- Transfer to a fridge-safe dish, cover, and chill for at least 12 hours before serving. Serve with cassava chips or cucumber slices.
What are some of your favourite pâté flavours? Any new and interesting combinations you’d like to see me test out? Let me know below!